Sunday, June 17, 2012

June 15th: Visiting my dad's family and the first bout of sickness

The newborn calf at my aunt's farm
The plan was to wake up on Friday and go to my aunt and uncle's house (Kumar Anna's parents) in Vedasandur for breakfast and then to my other aunt and uncle's house (Dad's sister and her husband) for lunch and to visit my grandfather who lives with them. However, I woke up feeling like crap which meant that today was not going to be a fun day for me. I pretty much spent the entire morning laying down and attempting to get ready so that we could actually see everyone before we headed home to Sulur. Kavin and Rithani were headed off to school so we said bye to them before Rangaraj Mama took my grandmother, sister and I to our aunt and uncle's for breakfast. I sat down to eat breakfast and throughout breakfast realized that I was feeling nauseous so I ended up going and laying down for the rest of our visit. I felt really bad because I hadn't seen my aunt and uncle in a year but there was no way that I could remain vertical for a long period time. Eventually my sister woke me up because it was time for our next stop. Along the way we stopped to get me some club soda (in hopes of settling my stomach) but club soda is disgusting. First time that I have had it and hopefully the last. I know my grandfather was looking forward to seeing us so I was hoping that I would feel better throughout the visit but I just ended up feeling worse and worse. My aunt and uncle have a pretty big farm and had some coconut trees so my uncle cut down some coconuts for us to drink. Usually I love coconut water but today I couldn't fathom drinking of eating anything. 
My uncle opening the coconuts for us
 I just wanted to lay down in my bed and sleep forever. Unfortunately, neither of those wishes were possible. Rangaraj Mama had to leave halfway through our visit so we said bye to him because we wouldn't be seeing him for the rest of our visit. I pretty much spent the entire visit at my aunt's laying down on a cot outside under the tree which felt super nice while everyone talked around me. I felt bad because this was the only time that we would be seeing our grandfather during the trip but I could barely keep my eyes open and my entire body just felt drained. 
 
With our grandfather

My sis with our aunt (dad's 2nd sis) and uncle
With Sekar mama's parents
We had a car come pick us up around 2:30pm so that we could get back to Sulur at a reasonable time. I spent the entire ride back laying down on my sister's lap trying not to get sick every time we went over a speed bump. They sure do love to put speed bumps on the roads here. You can't go 100 feet without having another speed bump appear. Along the way was the farm or as we call it, thottam, of another set of grandparents (Sekar mama's parents, the uncle that picked us up from Gudalur). We couldn't go without stopping in since we were driving right past the farm so we had a 30 minute detour to see them and get more coconuts. The coconut water is supposed to be really refreshing and is good for hydration in the hot weather but again could not think about drinking or eating anything. I probably would have enjoyed our side visit a lot more if I was feeling better because the thottam is gorgeous and there was a great breeze but all I wanted to do was get home and go to sleep. After spending a reasonable amount of time we got back in the car and headed home which was perfect because as soon as we pulled up and got the door open I ended up rushing to the bathroom to throw up. Fun times right? Thankfully that seemed to be the only time that I needed to throw up so I just ended up getting into pjs and going to sleep at 5pm. My grandmother and sister went over to Selvi Athai and Sekar mama's house for dinner but I'm glad I didn't because eating dinner probably would have made me sicker especially since my sister ended up getting sick starting at 3am continuing threw to the next morning.

This is really turning out to be a great end to our trip right? 


No comments:

Post a Comment