Thursday, June 9, 2011

Back to the US of A - June 8

          The ten hour flight to Paris actually wasn't too bad. I slept for a good 7 hours since we boarded at 2 in the morning and I was exhausted. I started watching Guzaarish, a Hindi movie with Hrithik and Aishwarya Rai and before I could finish the movie it was time to land. The flight ended up taking only 9.5 hours so we ended up saving a half hour.
 

Flying into Charles de Gaulle... Everything was so green from above

We got off the plane last because of the wheelchair assistance and it was kind of funny to see all the old grandma and grandpas that were also waiting for the wheelchairs. They were all Indian and they kind of looked a little lost and just responded with head nods and the name of the city that they were headed to. They had a special van transporting all the wheelchair individuals to the appropriate terminals. Again we got to skip all the long lines and go straight to the front of the line which was great because I got stuck carrying all the bags. By the time we got the gate we only had about 20 minutes to boarding so I filled out all our customs forms and we were ready to go. The flight from Paris to New York was a lot nicer and I think bigger than our flight from Bangalore to Paris. We had more leg and seat room. For some reason our seats were not together for this flight but one of the flight attendants managed to get someone to switch seats with me. Guzaarish was available on this flight as well so I was happy I got to finish the movie. The movie takes place in Goa and is centered on a request that Hrithik Roshan's character Ethan makes for a mercy killing (euthanasia) because of his medical state. It was a beautiful movie. I was wide awake for this flight so I also watched Hall Pass and Tees Maar Khan. The flight was also shorter than the last one (only 7.5 hours instead of the 9.5).
            It was relief to land in New York and here people talking English in an accent that I am used to. We had to go through customs in New York which is what I wasn't looking forward to but it actually went by relatively quickly. Again the wheelchair was a godsend because the line for non-Residents for my grandma was about two hours long and if I had to wait in that line we would have missed our connecting flight. It took forever to get our luggage but once we got our luggage and had it screened we rechecked it and were good to go. We had to switch terminals for our flight to Pittsburgh and by the time we got to the gate they were boarding and we were the last two passengers on the plane. An hour on this plane and finally home in good ole Pittsburgh.
           My parents were already waiting for us when we got to baggage claim so all that was left was to get our luggage and then we were on our way home :-) 

No comments:

Post a Comment