Sunday, June 5, 2011

More family visits and Shopping part 7? - June 4

              I feel like I'm falling behind on updating the blog but things aren't that exciting now that the project part of my trip is over. I basically have different family members coming and visiting. Everyone wants to say hi and bye since my grandma is also coming back with me and will be gone for six months. It seemed like everyone had the same idea in mind yesterday because everyone that was visiting showed up around the same time. First my aunt and uncle from Pollachi came. Then my mom's friend called and said that she was going to stop by since she was in the area. And then before she showed up my other aunt and cousin also arrived. Only my aunt and uncle from Pollachi stayed all day since they were heading to a wedding at night.

            The family that is renting the room from us behind our house was dog-sitting today and the puppy was adorable! Her name is Julie and she was the most playful dog ever.


 

             In the afternoon I went back into town with my next door neighbor, Amutha akka and her niece, Nandhini. We decided to take the bus into town since it's a straight shot and boy did we have an interesting ride. Apparently a guy had decided to get drunk in the middle of the afternoon and get on the bus. He had already paid for his ticket and I don't know exactly what he did, I think he said something to someone's kid but next thing I knew he got slapped by the kid's father. The guy apparently kept saying something and he got slapped a few more times. It was quiet for awhile but then he must have done something because the father kicked him. The driver even stopped the bus to see if they could fix the problem but the guy wouldn't stop and all the men in the back of the bus were getting involved. (The women sit in the front of the bus and the men sit in the back of the bus). The drunk guy wouldn't get off the bus either so everyone had to put up with him until we got to the end of the bus ride. A very interesting ride into town.
             Amutha akka wanted to get a sari for her wedding anniversary and we ended up getting six. Apparently scarves here are referred to as "sallways" and not scarves which is why I was having such a hard time finding them but I now knew what to ask for.  And finally I found scarves! They didn't have too many and the prices are somewhat comparable to prices in the US which was surprising. I think I would have had better luck looking for scarves in Madras or Bombay. After shopping we stopped at a hotel to grab some dinner. We got a bus back home as well but it was so crowded you could barely move an inch. There were three seats per row and two women took up almost all of the three seats and made it very uncomfortable to sit for an hour. It was late and drizzling by the time we got to Sulur but all three of us were glad to be out of the bus and home.



No comments:

Post a Comment