Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Visiting my Grandfather and Back to Sulur (Once Again) - May 31

           Woke up after a somewhat nice 8 hour "nap" to get ready, hurry up and eat you have to go into town with your uncle, what's taking you so long, come on you need to go. Not so nice. But we were only going into town to buy this special peanut candy that my dad and I like a lot. Don't know what the rush was about but once I showered and ate breakfast my uncle and I went back to the same place we went yesterday to get some peanut candy and my grandmother a sari. I didn't know that we were buying her a sari and wasn't sure what type of material to buy so we decided to call my grandmother to ask her what kind she would like but she told us to not buy her a sari and hung up on me. Well my uncle was adamant so we bought something that we thought was nice but as soon as we got back my cousin and grandma were like this isn't right go back and get a different one. Seriously? Was not too happy with having to go back to get another one but we decided to wait and go to the store on the way to see my grandpa. We left a few hours afterwards and headed to my aunt's (dad's second older sister) house in Vedasandur for lunch. 

  
With Kavin and Rithani      

   With my cousin, Kavin and her husband(my uncle)

    By the time we got to my aunt's house it was crazy hot outside and there was no wind which made it even worse. We were sitting in the shade under a tree in front of my aunt's house for the entire visit but I was uncomfortably hot. My cousin's son Manish (pics are in a previous post) wasn't feeling well and seeing him was really sad because the doctor had him on an all liquid diet for three days and he looked so sad. My grandma and I had also brought him all these sweets and cookies because we didn't know and he looked so disappointed that he couldn't eat anything for a few days. My grandfather was also staying with my aunt because he had recently had an eye operation so my aunt and uncle were looking after him. This trip was mainly so that I could see my grandfather and say bye to him since I wouldn't be seeing him before I leave next week.
              It's hits me sometimes that my sister and I are not as close to our family members because we only see them once every few years and even when we are in India we don't really spend that much time with them that they basically are strangers even though we are blood related. I mean I have a huge family here but I barely even know 5% of the people. We end up missing out on a lot living so far away and also growing up in completely different cultures. Usually we only come every four to five years but I've been here three times in the past year and it's been nice to see everyone. It's also nice because the little kids remember who I am and aren't as shy and apprehensive about talking and playing with me.  
          Anyway, I digress.....we spent a few hours at my aunt's house after lunch before heading back to Sulur. We ended up stopping by another uncle's farm on the way back because his mom and dad (another grandma and grandpa) wanted to see me. This is the uncle who took me to see the movie and his wife is the one that has been taking me shopping everywhere. Don't ask me exactly how we are related because I can't tell you but we are related somehow. We only stopped in for about ten minutes because it was getting late and the driver had to drive all the way back to Vedasandur after dropping us off. We got home and I pretty much crashed soon after. For some reason I haven't been feeling that well the past few days and I hadn't caught up on my sleep from leaving Gujarat which was making things worse. Getting climbed on and kicked my a 7 year old all day didn't help much either but hopefully I'll feel better in a few days. We have to start packing soon and I would hate to be sick while traveling next week. 
         

No comments:

Post a Comment