Thursday, May 12, 2011

Making Visits, Engeyum Kadhal and Subway - May 12

         What a fantastically amazingly awesome day. Mainly has to do with the fact that I got to see the movie that I've been wanting to see tonight and I LOVED it! But anyway, I'll go through today's events in order. I'm starting to sleep in a little bit more nowadays which is good and bad at the same time because the power gets cut from 9am to 12pm everyday now. So it sucks to wake up and then feel sluggish because there is no power which means no fans. But we left the house around 11am this morning to visit one of my mom's old teachers. Here in India or at least in my house, people stay in touch with their teachers once they are done with school. I have met a variety of my mom's teachers whenever we come to India. I think the teacher we visited today was her "drawing" teacher and if it wasn't I'm sure she'll correct me. Anyways, I digress. My grandma found out a few days ago that the teacher's husband had passed away a month ago and wanted to pay a condolence visit. When my grandfather was sick last summer, my mom's teacher and husband visited even though he was sick himself and couldn't talk but his presence was enough for my grandfather. Btw, today would have been my grandpa's 70th birthday so Happy Birthday Appuchi!
               Since my grandmother just found out, she wanted to go see the teacher, her daughters and the rest of the family and since I am here and free I went along as well. One thing that I don't feel comfortable with is the crying that happens during a condolence visit. Everyone (at least the women) that came to visit after my grandfather died walked into the house and started crying and the same thing happened today. I just don't know what to do and it's kind of awkward. But I guess it was a nice visit given the circumstances once everyone stopped crying? We came back home stopping all the way to pick up some "juicy juicy mangoes" (Point if you can get the reference)

           Not much happened this afternoon. I watched Spanglish on HBO and facebooked. Exciting I know. But then my uncle took me to see the movie that I've been dying to see: Engeyum Kadhal (Love is Everywhere) with one of my favorite actors, Jayam Ravi. The movie was written and directed by Prabhu Deva and had a couple of cameos with Prakash Raj. Overall it probably isn't the best movie in the entire world but I loved every minute of it and it definitely was enjoyable to watch. I want to get this movie before I leave so that I can watch it a few more times. Another nice thing about being in India is the ability to get movies on DVD the day they movie is released for less than $1.

love love love loved watching this movie :-) 

this was one of the more entertaining songs in the movie

   The movie was only two hours long which is short by Indian standards but I would watched that movie quite a few more times before I became tired of it. After the movie my uncle and I went to the subway that we passed on our way to the theater because I wanted to try Subway in India. It was pretty much the same as subways in the US except they had Tandoori Chicken Subs, and Chicken Tikka subs and etc...

 
Your typical Subway set-up

His shirt read: "Did I suggest you a Coke?" Really??!?!

 All in all a great day. I believe we are headed back into town tomorrow to buy some more clothes for me to take to Gujarat and a few other things for my grandma. We may be seeing another movie but I believe that depends on how everyone feels after shopping and walking around in the sun. 

           

No comments:

Post a Comment