Sunday, May 8, 2011

Vacation Day - May 8th

             So yesterday was pretty chill. There were still patients at the hospital but there was no outpatient clinic and there weren't as many patients as the other days so everyone was pretty free. We went out to breakfast because the cook at the hostel as Sundays off. It was nice to go into town and and see what else was there. After breakfast we headed back and I spent the morning working on some educational material on sickle cell. I had to cut out a lot of information that is usually on pamphlets back home because the basic knowledge that we would expect individuals to know in the States is very very different from here. The material is going to be translated into Tamil and Malayalam to be given out. Primarily the material is targeted towards the children because they are the ones that are able to read for the most part. There are adults in the Adivasi population that are literate but the literacy rate is not very high.
           After finishing up the material I decided to wander into town for a bit since I had some time on my hands and the others were at the hospital seeing patients. It's not a bad trek into town but it was HOT! I got myself a veg. puff to eat and then naturally wandered into a store when I saw bangles and jewelry. After looking around for a bit I headed back to the hospital only to run into the other heading out for lunch. I had forgotten that it was lunch time and they asked me to join them so I headed back into town. We had a really nice vegetarian meal but were all craving something sweet so we decided to go to the bakery to get some mango shakes. Headed back to the hospital after lunch and I spent the rest of the afternoon watching Will and Grace and finishing up my pamphlets. We ended up grabbing a late dinner in town again (4th time going into town for the day) and came back to the hostel to watch Black, Snake, Moan which was actually a pretty decent movie. But we started the movie at 10pm this time and I kept falling asleep in the middle. Once it hits 9:30pm I start getting sleepy and starting the movie at 10 probably wasn't the best idea but oh well.
       So Sunday was a nice day to relax after spending the three days prior in the hospital and villages. 

No comments:

Post a Comment